- About Us
- Our Clients
- Contact Us
Claire has worked for over 35 years in tourism starting out running her own small charter expedition cruise company in Asia, then working for other tourism operators, in State Government as a Director at Tourism Tasmania, as an academic and researcher and most recently as a consultant. She now runs her own consulting company, working across Australia on a range of tourism, regional and volunteer projects. Her focus is on the development of destinations, new product and tourism experiences, ensuring they are developed to create sustainable long term outcomes for communities and the wider region.
Based in Tasmania, Claire is recognised nationally, having chaired the Destination Management Working Group for the National Long Term Tourism Strategy for Australia for several years. She has built a reputation for creating long term positive outcomes, particularly in regional areas, that consider a wide range of stakeholders. Stakeholder management is one of her key strengths. She also draws on her experience living and working overseas for 15 years (particularly in Indonesia) for both tourism companies and environmental not for profit organisations.
Recent work includes:
- National Project Manager for Volunteering Australia’s Review of the Definition of Volunteering for Australia (new definition approved July 2015).
- Reviewing state-wide regional tourism approaches (South Australia and Victoria).
- Managing long term projects on Kangaroo Island aimed at improving resilience including strategic direction setting and tourism seasonality and working on a project across all industry sectors aiming to maximise local benefits from the $171m of state approved new projects planned for the Island including an airport upgrade.
Claire also provides short term assistance to Government supporting the development of key projects. Recent examples include:
- Development of the Activating Nature-based Tourism in South Australia plan.
- Work with South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC) to produce the South Australia Strategic Tourism Plan 2014-2020 and supporting the SATC to operationalise this into the SATC Corporate Plan.
Claire is an Honorary Research Associate at the University of Tasmania and published areas including cruise shipping and volunteer tourism (her PhD area). Current Board positions include Ecotourism Australia and Volunteering Tasmania. She is also a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.